Saturday, July 12, 2008

Lone Survivor, read this book!

I just finished the book Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell for the second time, it got me to thinking that I have not addressed soldiers in particular in any of my previous postings. I would like to do so now.

Most people take soldiers for granted. They just assume that there are people out there who will be willing to lay down their lives for the good of the country. In this assessment they are correct, what they fail to realize is that these people do this without fanfare or reward.

I am a former soldier, I served for almost 11 years with the U.S. Army. I was not a Navy Seal as Marcus Lutrell is, but I served my country none the less. I believe that soldiers are born and not made. I believe there has to be something in you that makes you desire the soldiers life over anything else, for why else would someone choose to put their life in harms way on a daily basis. It has to be a higher calling. Period! Anyone who serves in the military deserves to treated with respect throughout his or her days for doing what not a lot of people would or are willing to do. With that being said, there is a difference between someone who goes into the military for the college benefits that the military offers or someone who goes into the military because it is their calling. Just as Marcus Lutrell knew that he was going to be a Seal from age 12, I knew from even a much younger age that I would be a soldier. All through my childhood and teenage years, everything I did was directed towards achieving my goal of being a soldier. I never wavered in my beliefs that I would be a soldier and would be one until I retired. Little did I know that God had other plans for me. Sure, he gave me the opportunity to serve my country and live my dream but staying in was not in the cards. after eleven years I was discharged from the military because of my knees, having blown both of them out earlier in my career and not being able to get them back to 100%.

I salute every soldier past and present. I give the final salute to all those who have given the ultimate sacrifice in the name of their country. For a career soldier there can be no greater honor. Don't get me wrong, no body wants to die. But a career soldier would rather die that lose, and if he dies while fighting than he has not lost. I live everyday with the thought that I could be called back into action by my country, and by God I would go. Make no mistake about it, I would gladly go back into the thick of it if, it meant I could keep someone else's son home with his family. I have a son who has already seen combat, I hope he is able to make peace with the warrior inside him as I have. He has my undying admiration and respect for he has chose to do what most others would run from. He truly is a soldier and a warrior. His name is Jonathan Beebe.

So in parting let me say, when you see a soldier at the airport or in uniform around your town. Take the time to thank him or her, they truly deserve it. Watch their faces and their mannerisms when you do this and you will find they are very uncomfortable with the recognition. They are the true professionals. You can ask my wife, I always go out of my way to say something to a soldier in uniform. I will usually buy them a drink or dinner if I see them at the airport or in a restaurant. It is not much, but it shows my loyalty and respect for all that they do. I would challenge everyone who reads this to do something similar. I means everything to the soldier although they would never admit it.

Remember, they are doing the bidding of the country and the President of the United States. Stand by them and NEVER let someone talk down about them. It is the least you can do for them, for they give everything for your freedoms.

As always I look forward to your responses. Earl

1 comment:

The Other Side. said...

Wow! I admire you and Thank you for serving our country. I only wish I could of been by your side, through all of this. I admire you even more now and Thank you for being my husband.
Your the Greatest. Your my soldier man. I love you with all my heart.

Becky